Verified Reviewer

I visited a Subway location (1427 York Ave, New NY 10021) today on my lunch break and had the most racist, rudest, down right degrading experience of my life. I entered the location and waited behind the one other customer at the counter who was placing an order...

several other customers had their purchases and were preparing to leave. Once it was my turn I stepped up and ordered and turkey club sandwich, however I asked the server to heat my bacon up separately from my bread, a request that I make every time I am at any Subway and order this particular sandwich (please note that no other employee at any of the locations I visited has ever had a problem with this basic request). The employee who was making my sandwich immediately became bothered by my request, slammed down my bread and proceeded to call me a *** BLACK *** Believing I heard him wrong since we both were wearing mask. I said to him "excuse me, what did you just call me".

The employee who I found out later name is ALAM had no issue repeating himself and even added on "WE PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME, ALWAYS WANT STUFF A CERTAIN WAY". By this point I was furious as I have NEVER been spoken to like that in my 39 years on this earth. His behavior was unprovoked, rude and extremely embarrassing as there were several other people who witness this. I told him I would never visit this establishment or any other Subway establishment again if this was the way the treated their customers.

As i was leaving the store his co-worker came over to me apologizing profusely stating that this "guy has issues" and many people complain about his behavior. He also suggested that I contact corporate to launch a formal complaint. This employee also offered to make my sandwich personally and provide me with a 15% discount. As he was so nice I accepted, however that does not take away from his co-workers actions.

I find it extremely disappointing that customers of subway can be treated this way. I was able to record a portion of the encounter if you need to see it for yourself. Also, you really should see the reviews of this location on Google. They only have a 2.4 rating, mainly because of this employee's attitude!

Franchises like this should not have the ability to tarnish your name or give subway as a whole a bad reputation, however I have to say I will definitely be thinking twice before spending any of my money with your company ever again and will definitely NEVER VISIT THIS LOCATION AGAIN!!!!!! Please look into this location, Employee "ADAM" who stated he was the manager/owner. I hope we are able to resolve this issue amicably as I would hate to have to escalate this to social media or further.

In this day of such high racial tension and a scope being on women's equality I don't believe allowing your franchisee's or employees to call anyone a *** *** MORE SPECIFICALLY A "BLACK *** WOULD GO OVER TO WELL. PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP.raracist

User's recommendation: do not support this business.

Preferred solution: I would love to hear how Subway would handle this situation in addition to an apology. .

Location: 1427 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021